Celestron SMART DEWHEATER CONTROLLER 2X - 94035
|Delivery time:||More on the Way to Us|
- Using real-time data, the controller provides just enough heat to prevent dew from forming, prolonging battery life
- “Smart control” system monitors ambient temperature and humidity and adjusts power to the dew heaters automatically
- Compatible with Celestron Dew Heater Rings and third-party heating bands or straps (with thermistor accessory)
- Supports up to two dew heaters plus one additional 12V DC device, such as your mount
- Works with your Celestron telescope’s hand control or CPWI telescope control software so you can view data and make manual adjustments
- Mounts securely to your telescope's dovetail or tripod leg
- Durable metal housing features an integrated cooling fan to protect the controller’s electronics
Work smarter, not harder, when it comes to combating dew. The Smart DewHeater and Controller 2x prolongs your battery life by optimizing power usage for up to two dew heaters. The controller gathers and analyzes information in real time to warm your optics just enough to prevent dew.
The Smart DewHeater and Controller comes with two ports to control two dew heaters at once. You can use one port to heat your optical tube while the other warms a second optical tube, a guide scope, an eyepiece, or another accessory. The controller also features an additional 12V DC output port so you can power another 12V DC device, such as your mount.
The Smart DewHeater and Controller works seamlessly with Celestron’s Dew Heater Rings, which have a built-in thermistor to provide temperature readings of the corrector lens. Third-party dew heater bands or straps are also compatible; you simply need to add Celestron's Thermistor for Smart DewHeater Controllers (sold separately).
At the heart of the controller is a powerful microprocessor that gathers information from the sensors, computes the data, and automatically adjusts your dew heaters. The controller monitors the ambient temperature and humidity using its integrated environmental sensor and monitors the heaters’ temperatures using thermistors.
You can run the Smart DewHeater and Controller 2x as a standalone accessory. Or, if you want to view data from the controller and make manual adjustments, you can connect it to your Celestron telescope’s hand control or your PC. The controller works with NexStar+ or StarSense hand controls running the latest firmware or Celestron CPWI telescope control software, included with every Celestron mount.
The Smart DewHeater and Controller 2x runs on a 12V DC battery (like our PowerTank Lithium Pro or PowerTank 17) and can handle a maximum power of 120W (10A max current @ 12V DC). The controller also features a 12V DC output port. You can use this extra port to power another device, like your mount. This way, you can power your entire setup from a single source. Resettable electronic fuses prevent damage if input or output current draw becomes too high.
NOTE: If you are using two dew heaters in heavy dew conditions and powering a 12V DC device, the controller may be operating near its power limit. In this case, one PowerTank Lithium Pro or PowerTank 17Ah will not have enough capacity to run your setup all night; you'll need a larger capacity battery or multiple batteries.
Unique Industrial Design
The Smart DewHeater and Controller 2x features a heavy-duty metal housing. Inside, a cooling fan protects the controller’s electronics.
The Bridge – On top of the controller, you will find the bridge, which is home to the device’s status LEDs and environmental sensors. It also helps with cable management. We have positioned the temperature and humidity sensors here, away from the control box and other components that could generate heat. Unlike competitor products, our sensors do not require additional cables to obtain accurate readings.
The LED lights on the bridge indicate the device’s current status. The LEDs provide warnings if the controller is drawing more current than your power source can supply or if the battery charge needs recharging. You can dim the lights if you are under dark skies.
Mounting – The Celestron Smart DewHeater and Controller 2x mounts on your CGE or CG-5 dovetail with the integrated dovetail clamps. If you prefer to mount the controller on your tripod leg, use the included strap.
Smart DewHeater and Controller 2x comes complete with:
- Smart DewHeater and Controller 2x
- Tripod leg strap
- Controller power cable
- Power cable for external 12V DC device
- AUX cable for connecting to Celestron mounts
- Thermistor extension cable to attach to Celestron’s Dew Heater Ring
Enhance your setup
We highly recommend pairing this controller with Celestron Dew Heater Rings. They fit seamlessly on your Schmidt corrector lens and will improve your observing or imaging year-round.
For the highest level of dew prevention, we also suggest adding a dew shield to your setup. While not required, a dew shield will cut down on the amount of power the controller needs to provide to the dew heater rings to keep your optics clear.
|Dew Heater Ports:||2x ports, RCA jack, compatible with Celestron Dew Heater Rings and other 3rd party vendor heating straps|
|Thermistor ports:||2x ports (one for each dew heater port), 2.5mm Audio jack, compatible with Celestron Dew Heater Rings and optional Celestron Thermistor|
|12V DC power output port:||12V DC barrel connector jack (5.5mm/2.1mm), 7A max|
|AUX ports:||2x ports, allows connection to Celestron mounts for HC control, also allows connection of optional accessories|
|PC port:||USB 2.0 Type B, allows connection to PC for control with CPWI|
|12V DC power input port:||Threaded barrel connector jack, 5.5mm/2.1mm, 10A max input|
|Included power cable:||Cigarette lighter plug on one end, threaded barrel connector on other end (5.5mm/2.1mm) , 10 ft. long, 10A fuse protected|
|Environmental sensor:||Measures ambient temperature and humidity, integrated into enclosure "bridge" to thermally isolate|
|Enclosure construction:||Aluminum with integrated fan|
|Clamp:||Fits CG-5 and CGE dovetails (also can be strapped onto tripod leg)|
|Electronic protections:||Fuse protected, reverse polarity protected, low voltage cut-off|
|Weight:||1.2 lbs (544.3 g)|
|Dimensions:||139.7mm x 114.3mm x 82.55mm (5.5" x 4.5" x 3.25")|
Celestron offers several options for powering the Smart DewHeater Controllers. Which one is best for my setup?
To answer this question, you’ll need to consider how, where, and for how long you want to run your system. Here are some critical specifications to evaluate for each potential power source.
- “Max current output” indicates the maximum amount of current that the power source can deliver to the controller. The current draw from all the devices you connect to the controller should not exceed this amount.
- For batteries only: The “battery capacity” specification will help you determine how long a given battery will run your system. First, add up the total power (in watts) required by all your devices. Then, multiply that number by the number of hours you wish to power the setup. If the result exceeds the battery capacity listed below, you’ll need a larger battery or more than one battery to last through the night. (Note: This specification does not apply to AC adapters, as their capacity is unlimited when they are connected to an AC power outlet.)
#18763 PowerTank Lithium LT
- Max current output: 3A
- Battery capacity: 73.3Wh
#18771 PowerTank Lithium
- Max current output: 3A
- Battery capacity: 84.4Wh
#18768 PowerTank Lithium Pro
- Max current output: 10A
- Battery capacity: 158.7Wh
- Max current output: 10
- Battery capacity: 84Wh
#18777 PowerTank 17
- Max current output:10A
- Battery capacity: 204Wh
#18778 AC Adapter – 2A
- Max current output: 2A
#18780 AC Adapter – 5A
- Max current output: 5A
The threaded plug on my older Celestron AC Adapter - 5A (#18780) does not thread onto the controller's threaded power jack, and the power input becomes intermittent as a result. What is the problem?
The older Celestron AC Adapter - 5A has a slightly different thread specification for the plug and will not connect properly to the Smart DewHeater Controller's power input jack as a result. We recommend purchasing a new Celestron AC Adapter - 5A, as the newer model has compatible threads on its plug.